Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Using this Guide
This guide gathers together information on Evidence-Based Practice. Included in this guide is information on:
- Introduction to EBP for the Busy Nurse Practitioner in 6 Steps
- ASK: Constructing well-built clinical questions with PICO
- Levels of Evidence and Study Designs
- Searching for The Evidence: Evidence sources listed by the type of evidence retrieved [Pyramid Tab]
- Getting to the Fulltext
- Critical Appraisal
View the complete EBP Guide.
Contact Your Librarian : MM
Need Assistance? We are happy to help! Please contact Your Librarian :
Michele Matucheski, MLIS, AHIP
The 5 As of Evidence-based Practice (EBP)
Five Step Model of Evidence Based Practice
The 5 "A's" will help you to remember the EBP process:
- ASK: Information needs from practice are converted into focused, structured questions.
- ACCESS / ACQUIRE: The focused questions are used as a basis for literature searching in order to identify relevant external evidence from research.
- APPRAISE: The research evidence is critically appraised for validity.
- APPLY: The best available evidence is used alongside clinical expertise and the patient's perspective to plan care.
- ASSESS / AUDIT: Performance is evaluated through a process of self reflection, audit, or peer assessment.
Please note, there are several models for EBP with various named and numbered steps. This guide will detail the first three steps ASK, ACCESS/ACQUIRE, APPRAISE. Some models include a 6th step for DISSEMINATE.
* This box and graphic was created by Diane Giebink-Skoglind of ThedaCare. Used by permission. The graphic is adapted from Melnyk, BM & Fineout-Overholt, E. (2011). Evidence-based practice in nursing & healthcare: A guide to best pracatice. (2nd ed.) Philadephia: Wolters-Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
EBP Tools, Templates and Worksheets
EBP Rapid Review Workbench
Template for documenting the work of rapid reviews with tabs for PICO / Search Terms, Databases searches, Summary Table, Synthesis table. Created by Aida Smith (Aida.Smith@ascension.org). Used by permission.
Featured Resources for EBP Research